Who am I?

My photo
Monrovia, Liberia
I live in Monrovia, Liberia, West Africa with my wife and youngest son. We are recently arrived in Liberia where we are serving as missionaries with Evangelical Church Missions working under the Liberia Evangelical Mission. For most of the last thirty years we have served under ECM in Bolivia, South America. We are the happy parents of four children and the proud grandparents of two grandchildren.

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Will You Be My Valentine?



July 23 is Friendship Day (Día de la Amistad), which seems to me to be sort of like Valentine's Day for us. The church had announced that there was gong to be a talent night that night. I didn't think that much about it, as I have no talent, but when I arrived I discovered that this was much more than a talent night. It was a full blown party for Día de la Amistad. There were games, presents, Valentines for all, special musical presentations, food, a good presentation of the Gospel and lots of people. On the average our local church has a small group on Sundays, but this evening there was a good group of visitors from the neighborhood. I was reminded again how, even thought it is a fairly small congregation at this point, that it is making an impact in people's lives beyond the four walls (actually we only have two walls in the church as it meets on a patio) of the church. With God's blessing and help, the day will come when our attendance will grow because people have come to know Jesus through the ministry of the church.


These were my Valentines. I really like the one on the
    right hand bottom that is addressed to "Girl Friend."

Sunday was the anniversary for the Light of the World (Luz del Mundo) church. It was celebrating its 10th anniversary. I arrived at what I thought was a judicious hour, but they were still setting up for the celebration.


As you can see the church still needs to be finished. Little. by little the construction will be done as finances are available.  It is in a great location, right on one of the main bus lines for the zone.

The decorations were pretty standard, balloons and all-purpose-Bolivian-paper (i.e. toilet paper).


There was lots of music, both congregational and special.


Elías Flores, the Santa Cruz District president, brought the message.



Pastor Johnny Flores (I think no relation to Elías) got the day off from preaching to simply enjoy the celebration.


After about three hours dinner was served to everyone, a yummy plate of hot chicken salad with rice (Salpicón) 


followed by cake.


Will you pray for both these churches as they seek to expand God's kingdom in their neighborhoods?

No comments:

Post a Comment