Who am I?

My photo
Monrovia, Liberia
I live in Monrovia, Liberia, West Africa with my wife and youngest son. We are recently arrived in Liberia where we are serving as missionaries with Evangelical Church Missions working under the Liberia Evangelical Mission. For most of the last thirty years we have served under ECM in Bolivia, South America. We are the happy parents of four children and the proud grandparents of two grandchildren.

Monday, October 25, 2010

Can You Believe It?

I have writer's block. Here it is Monday and I am supposed to post something but I have no idea what to write about. I am glad that I was able to sign the papers on the "new" car. It's a Toyota Highlander 2004. It has a few stains and signs of its age but I am hoping it will prove to be a reliable vehicle for our field. It is the one vehicle about which everyone was in agreement. So that must mean something.


I feel like a new father! I love my car. (I have not let Niki drive it yet.)



Yesterday was a pastors' meeting for the district. It went well. It began with a message by one of our pastors and then the rest of the morning and part of the afternoon was taken up with reports of different kinds. I just love meetings but it is good to be with the pastors and leaders. They are a great bunch. One of our pastors is going through a very difficult time in his personal life right now. Please pray for him. Thanks.


Finally a word about current events in Bolivia. The government has passed a new law dealing with child protection issues but tucked away in the law is a provision declaring 12 years old as the age for consensual sexual relationships. It has generated a lot of criticism from parental groups, psychologists, doctors, the church etc. The government is responding by saying it is meant to protect minors and their rights, that it is stiffening the penalties against anyone who would violate a child,  and that the outcry is misdirected. Who is right on this one? What does the law actually mean? I am not sure but I don't think it is for good even if well intentioned. Please pray for Bolivia. The only solution to its problems is God.

No comments:

Post a Comment