Who am I?

My photo
Monrovia, Liberia
I live in Monrovia, Liberia, West Africa with my wife and youngest son. We are recently arrived in Liberia where we are serving as missionaries with Evangelical Church Missions working under the Liberia Evangelical Mission. For most of the last thirty years we have served under ECM in Bolivia, South America. We are the happy parents of four children and the proud grandparents of two grandchildren.

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

A Tribute To Duane Erickson

No. Duane is not dead. I want to make that point very clear. However, after many years as executive director of the mission, Duane Erickson has stepped down. I thought I would use the occasion to share a few memories about Duane and Jessie.

I first met Duane and Jessie when I had the opportunity to visit Bolivia for seven weeks in the summer of 1977. I was getting ready to begin my senior year at George Fox college and wanted to have the opportunity to experience a little bit of mission life for myself. I knew God was calling me in that direction but had no specific idea as to where or with whom. Anyway, Duane came to the airport in La Paz to pick me up. I don't remember much about first impressions and all that but the next day he took me with him out to register TEE students in the country. At one church they served us each a plate with some boiled potatoes. I remember Duane saying to me, "I always break these open in case there is a worm inside." And sure enough, when he broke his open there indeed was a big old worm cooked into the potato. Then the drink was brought out to pass around. As I saw the brothers bringing out what for all the world appeared to be beer bottles I began to wonder about what kind of outfit this was I was visiting. But Duane seemed to be drinking it so I assumed it would be ok. It was cheap pop. I learned that cheap bolivian pop comes in "beer" bottles.

Some of our best memories come from the time when Duane and Jessie lived just down the street from us in La Paz. There was the time when Duane sat on a pencil and the lead broke off in a delicate spot. Good thing there were nurses in the missionary community.

Then there was the time we were having prayer meeting at Duane and Jessie's. Our children we off entertaining themselves while we prayed. Boy was that a mistake. Dori, who was quite little, discovered Duane's supply of bb's for his gun and proceeded to eat them. When she opened her mouth a large handful of bb's came pouring out.

Another time we had a work team visiting. Dinner was at the Erickson's. After lunch, one of the men on the team laid down on the couch. Jessie, who was always attentive to visitor's needs, questioned him if he was feeling okay. His response, "Every day I see Duane lay down after lunch and take a nap and no one ever asks him is he's okay!"

After becoming executive director Duane was down visiting. We were walking down a road in Santa Cruz going to the home of some brothers when a fairly good sized goat approached. I was in the lead and gently turned his head away from me. The goat walked on past us and then, without warning, butted Duane for all he was worth. I am sure it had to hurt but did we ever laugh. It couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.

On a more serious note, Duane and Jessie were great people to work with. Duane believed in me at times when I wasn't so sure I believed in myself. He was always encouraging and supportive. And Jessie, well maybe one more story will sum up our experiences with her.

Niki and I were gong somewhere and Jessie was going to watch Daniel and Dori for us. So we walked them down the street to the Erickson's house and rang the bell. In those days we both had the same young lady working for us. Her name was Esperanza. While waiting for the door to open, Daniel looked at us and said, "Dori likes Esperanza, but I LOVE Auntie Jessie."

I guess that about sums it up. We love Duane and Jessie. It seems a little weird to think of someone else being in Duane's office (no offense meant to Bruce Moyer, our new director). The Erickson's have been a part of our Bolivian experience from the beginning. We pray for God's best for them as they enter this new phase of life. And no, Duane is not retiring. He is continuing working at the office but in a new capacity. He no longer has to carry all those burdens and be troubled with all his problem "children" on the various mission fields of the church. Why, who knows, with the reduced stress in his life even his hair may come back!

No comments:

Post a Comment