Who am I?

My photo
Monrovia, Liberia
I live in Monrovia, Liberia, West Africa with my wife and youngest son. We are recently arrived in Liberia where we are serving as missionaries with Evangelical Church Missions working under the Liberia Evangelical Mission. For most of the last thirty years we have served under ECM in Bolivia, South America. We are the happy parents of four children and the proud grandparents of two grandchildren.

Monday, January 17, 2011

Happy Birthday, Happy Birthday, Happy Birthday

Recently I helped celebrate three different birthdays. The first two were celebrated together. My co-workers, James and JJ and I were in La Paz to attend the quarterly pastors' junta (conference). James and I stayed a couple of days extra in order to do some cleaning and organizing in one of our storage rooms. Since we were there we decided that we should take advantage of the time and treat our secretary, Lidia, and husband to a birthday dinner for her. She is hitting the big 5 oh this year. I thought it might be a nice gesture to also invite the president of the church, Vicente, and his wife to go along with us as well. When I said something about birthday and lunch she was very excited. She misunderstood me and thought that I was talking about Vicente because his birthday is also approaching, two days after Lidia's. So I was a better man than I thought! I was hitting tow birthdays with one party. Anyway, it proved to be a good time together. The food was good, the cake was so-so, but the fellowship was great. I thank God for Lidia. She has been working for the mission for more years than I have. I also thank God for Vicente. His leadership is proving to be very effective in the church. So Happy Birthday and Happy Birthday.

Yesterday (Sunday) I was invited to another birthday party. This time it was for Masiel Sarahí, an extremely cute little two year old girl.



The party was held at the church and there were lots of eager attenders. The kids played games

The Train


Musical Chairs

Sack Race

I don't recommend this one . . .

having kids chug pop and gobble bread. I was waiting for a disaster to happen!



And, of course, the killer piñata!


and ate goodies until the time for the cake.



Happy Birthday was appropriately sung , the candle blown out and the cake served along with cheese empanadas.

I had the privilege of dedicating Masiel some months back. Her mother attends our church and asked me to preform her dedication. The unfortunate part of the story is that Viki is a single mother. Like too many other young Bolivian women, she got involved with a guy (who was also in the church where she was attending), became pregnant and then left by the father to fend for herself. Viki has recognized her error and is trying to live as a Christian mother. Unfortunately the father has not recognized his responsibility. I asked the father's brother, who was at the party along with his parents, if his brother had any intentions of making things right. He didn't know.

Will you please pray for Masiel, Viki her mother, and her father that soon this beautiful young girl can have the stability of a complete family united in love for each other and for God.

Viki and Masiel

No comments:

Post a Comment