Who am I?

My photo
Monrovia, Liberia
I live in Monrovia, Liberia, West Africa with my wife and youngest son. We are recently arrived in Liberia where we are serving as missionaries with Evangelical Church Missions working under the Liberia Evangelical Mission. For most of the last thirty years we have served under ECM in Bolivia, South America. We are the happy parents of four children and the proud grandparents of two grandchildren.

Friday, March 11, 2011

Merry Christmas!

This will be a short post because I have something else I need to do. I'll explain.

I received a call from the post office on Wednesday afternoon telling me that I had a certified letter and would I please come collect it. So this morning I went to the post office to get my letter. When I went to the certified letter desk they searched and searched and could not find my letter. Was I sure that they had called and it was not the courier service downstairs? I was quite sure but said that I would check. So I went to EMS and asked. No I did not have a letter. I also went to check my post box just in case the letter had ended up in there. Nothing. So back up I went to the certified people. Again the lady searched and searched. In fact I think she might have been ready to call out the Search and Rescue people with the dogs to find my letter. Finally she produced it. Do I have a claim slip from my box? There was supposed to be a claim slip in by p.o. box. Without the slip I could not pick up the letter. I would need to go and complain to the people in the box section. So down I went. I explained my predicament to the lady at the window who disappeared into the bowels of the post office. After what seemed like a rather lengthy time she reappeared with an armload of letters and the missing claim slip. Why had none of these letters reached my box? The reply was Didn't you tell me that you didn't have your key? I had said nothing about my key. No I had my key for my box that was right there. There was nothing in my box. She would have to come and see. Sure enough I had a key for my box. Oh. For whatever reason a different box had been assigned my number and all my mail had been gong into the other box.  She would see that it was now closed since I had a key for my box.

It all had a happy ending. I went back upstairs to pick up my registered letter which you will hear more about in an upcoming post.

I had wondered why we received no Christmas cards this year. I just figured that with email, FaceBook and so on that no one was sending us any this year. But here in my arms was now a whole pile of Christmas mail, birthday cards for Mark, and even those necessary documents that had gone astray, at least that is what I thought. So, the reason this post is short and simple is that I have to go read my Christmas mail. Thank you everyone who sent it. I hope you have a very Merry Christmas!

1 comment:

  1. Well, that's bureaucracy for you. Always holding something back for a rainy day.

    Merry Christmas, Dad!

    ReplyDelete