Who am I?

My photo
Monrovia, Liberia
I live in Monrovia, Liberia, West Africa with my wife and youngest son. We are recently arrived in Liberia where we are serving as missionaries with Evangelical Church Missions working under the Liberia Evangelical Mission. For most of the last thirty years we have served under ECM in Bolivia, South America. We are the happy parents of four children and the proud grandparents of two grandchildren.

Monday, December 5, 2011

Thankful For . . .

Now that Thanksgiving has gone I would like to reflect on some of the items for which I am thankful here in Bolivia.

First, I am thankful for our great coworkers. We were able to all be together on Thanksgiving in the home of JJ and Randi Guerrero in Cochabamba. Besides enjoying a fantastic meal, complete with turkey (a treat in Bolivia) and the all the stuff (stuffing, potatoes, pumpkin, peanut butter, ,pecan, apple pies, Snicker salad and other good stuff) there was the joy of just being together. I was wondering when the four of our families would all be together again as Wolheter's were leaving on deputation in just a few days and the rest of us will eventually follow suit. We don't always see eye to eye with your coworkers. Sometimes we have different ways of doing things but I thank God for the team here in Bolivia that he has put together. We will miss the Wolheter's while they are in the States but trust that God will quickly bring them home.

Pie, anyone?
 Friday after Thanksgiving JJ, Bryan and I drove up to La Paz for the national church's annual congress session. The congress is usually marked by long sessions, fiery debate marathon elections and celebrations of achievement. This year's celebrations included graduation from the Tiahuanacu center of the Program for Forming Pastors in Service. It was great to see these active pastors finally able to finish their education and be recognized for this achievement. There was also an ordination service and a recognition of a couple of other pastors for significant achievement. A new church president was elected along with other new officers. I was invited to preach during the Sunday morning closing session. These kinds of events always remind me how blessed I am to be in Bolivia working with these group of pastors and people who love God. I am thankful that God has seen fit to call us to Bolivia to work and minister is a small way in the church here.

Bryan with new graduate.
 
New church president, Felix Callisaya and his wife.

Me.

Monday Bryan and I drove a car down from Cochabamba to Santa Cruz over "the old road". "The new road" was blocked by a group of protesters about 120 km or so out of Santa Cruz making it impassable. So we headed out over "the old road" to come home. After failing to find our way out of Cochabamba in good timing (we had great directions but there are very few street signs in Cochabamba identifying which street goes with what name) we finally were heading down the highway to Santa Cruz when everything came to a screeching halt. There was also a blockade at that end of the highway. So after inquiring a bit I was given an alternative route. So we headed off "the old road" for an unknown raod that was to take us back to "the old road." Anyway, to make a long story short, Bryan and I had the chance to see a lot of country that we would not otherwise have seen. And while "the old road" is not as bad as many make it out to be (I have driven much worse roads in Bolivia) it did remind me of how thankful I am of God's protection here as we travel.


"The old road."

So I say thank you to God for coworkers (both gringo and Bolivian), for the privilege of being in Bolivia and for God's safety each day.

No comments:

Post a Comment