Who am I?

My photo
Monrovia, Liberia
I live in Monrovia, Liberia, West Africa with my wife and youngest son. We are recently arrived in Liberia where we are serving as missionaries with Evangelical Church Missions working under the Liberia Evangelical Mission. For most of the last thirty years we have served under ECM in Bolivia, South America. We are the happy parents of four children and the proud grandparents of two grandchildren.

Monday, September 29, 2014

Peter, The Church and Children



Yesterday, Sunday, it was my privilege to teach the kids' class at our district junta. I have not done it for quite a while and so was a bit unsure as to what it was gong to be like. I had my lesson and craft preparations done, songs ready to be taught and sung and then came Sunday. It all came back to mind.

Bolivian children are cute, adorable, lovable, funny and undisciplined, especially in large groups. The room we were in has been newly finished but echoes. That didn't help. Nor were there enough chairs when we started. So the first ten minutes or so was just trying to get everyone situated. More chairs were brought in and a make shift bench made out of a plank and some bricks.

The helpers I had did a great job in trying to keep things down to a dull roar. However as we begin to sing a new song the kids interest was captured and they sang along and did the motions. "I am the church, You are the church, We are the church together….." That was the theme for the day that we are the church; not a building of brick and cement but people are the true church.


Although it doesn't look it, there were between 65-70 kids


Then came story time. It was the Acts 12 account of Peter being imprisoned and the church praying for him. Who was praying? A building? No. It was people, the church, who were praying.

Peter in prison, in my own art style.

The church praying

An angel rescues Peter


The church rejoices over God's answer to prayer

Following the story was craft time. We made stick puppets representing Peter and other characters in the story and then each child drew their own face on a styrofoam plate with their name and the caption: I am the church.



Craft time was wonderfully chaotic and noisy. But the kids seemed to have a good time and enjoyed making the crafts.

"I am the church"


The morning was rounded off by a lunch of Bolivian chicken salad and juice to drink.



I admit that I was a bit happy (and tired, and not too happy about the mess that had been made) when it was all over. Nonetheless, it was a blessing to with the kids yesterday because "I am the church. You are the church. We are the church together." And it is these kids into whose hands God will intrust the church tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment