Who am I?

My photo
Monrovia, Liberia
I live in Monrovia, Liberia, West Africa with my wife and youngest son. We are recently arrived in Liberia where we are serving as missionaries with Evangelical Church Missions working under the Liberia Evangelical Mission. For most of the last thirty years we have served under ECM in Bolivia, South America. We are the happy parents of four children and the proud grandparents of two grandchildren.

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

He Who Finds A Wife . . .

This week Niki and I will be celebrating our 33rd wedding anniversary. Through the years Niki has been a huge asset in our ministry. I have written about her involvement in Bolivia elsewhere so will not go into that here, but I have come to appreciate her in a new way since coming to Liberia. When we arrived in Monrovia and were brought to where we are staying it was a somewhat disheartening experience. The ceiling was dripping, things were less than clean, it smelled musty and there was no one to welcome us with warm food or warm greeting. The brothers were with us and I don't mean to discount them but there was no one to help us get settled and be "at home." Now, before you accuse me of whining or complaining let me make my point. Niki had numerous times in Bolivia helped to welcome new, or returning, people, not only in our own mission but others as well. There is nothing like a plate of hot cinnamon rolls, fresh fruit and eggs and sausage, a hot cup of coffee to welcome you to your new home. I missed that. And it made me think how thoughtful Niki had been all those years. When you are new to a country you need to learn about shopping, food preparation, even house cleaning. Again, Niki was good at helping new people learn to do these basic things. Perhaps the biggest thing you need is a listening ear, a good laugh or cry at times, maybe a cutthroat game of Settlers - all things that Niki has done for newcomers. So, again I say, the lack of these things being done for us on our arrival has only increased my appreciation for Niki and her talents as hostess and caregiver.





Niki has been a trooper here. I, being the insensitive male that I am, thought that she (weak female) would have more difficulty in adjusting to Monrovia than me (strong male). Hah! She has amazed me at her flexibility and adjustment. She has run circles around me in that aspect. So things weren't the cleanest in the world and we had a cockroach playing on us while we slept, she rolled up her proverbial sleeves and attacked everything with gallons of bleach. Even the books in the guest house library were bathed. The house no longer stinks, the cockroaches have greatly diminished and the kitchen cupboards and what they contain are clean.

And then Niki has jumped in with both feet into the ministry here. She has already had the pastors' wives over for a tea and plans to have a monthly meeting with them.



She is spearheading the weekly art class at the children's home that we teach.



And she has been helping with the kids at the Mt. Zion Church when we have occasion to attend there.

I hope by now you get my point. The Bible says, "He who finds a wife finds a good thing." Thirty-three years ago I found a good thing (actually she found me but that's another story) and it's still  a good thing. Thank you for praying for us. Thank you for praying for Niki. We are eagerly looking forward to the future and, should you come visit us, well have the cinnamon rolls waiting!

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations Mr, and Mrs. Elliott on 33 years of marriage! What an amazing example. God is amazing! Mr. Elliott you do truly have an amazing Proverbs 31 wife. I am praying for your family. May God bless your next 30 years!
    In Christ, Rebekah

    ReplyDelete