Who am I?

My photo
Monrovia, Liberia
I live in Monrovia, Liberia, West Africa with my wife and youngest son. We are recently arrived in Liberia where we are serving as missionaries with Evangelical Church Missions working under the Liberia Evangelical Mission. For most of the last thirty years we have served under ECM in Bolivia, South America. We are the happy parents of four children and the proud grandparents of two grandchildren.

Monday, September 14, 2009

Monday Morning Flexibility


MOnday mornings have been sung about, written about, analyzed and everything else. This is Monday morning and it has been far too atypical. The air conditioning in the car has not been working right (I guess that global warming has hit my car) and I decided that I should take it in to get it fixed. Everything is fine, they said, except that it is not cooling like it should. Could I come back in the afternoon? That's when the real mechanic will be in. Next it was to the Bolivian Evangelical University to check on paying a scholarship for one of our students there. True to form, I didn't end up having enough money for what we need to pay. But it needs to be paid today or he will be booted out of class. Could I come back in the afternoon? So I guess that pretty much lines up the afternoon. Flexibility. It is a great word that summarizes the number one trait you need living in Bolivia. Yes, you need a call from God (extremely important), Bible training, cultural sensitivity, a heart for people etc. But if you're not flexible none of that will get you very far. Is God flexible? I think so. We are studying Genesis in our Sunday School class. When things went wrong in the world God didn't just throw up his metaphorical (because God is spirit and technically has no hands)hands and quit. Instead he became flexible and adjusted to the current situation. Expulsion of man from Eden, the flood, the tower, Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, all examples of God's flexibility until he brought the final solution, Jesus and the cross. So I guess if God could wait thousands of years of being flexible I can wait a few hours. Maybe I should get out the old Gumby doll while I wait. Talk about flexibility!

1 comment:

  1. This is Monday morning and I'm sitting in the Portland airport. My pastor when I was in high school used to have a weekly memo that went out: "Monday Morning Musings from the Pastor's Desk." Missions, Mondays and Mornings - O My!
    Bob

    ReplyDelete