Who am I?

My photo
Monrovia, Liberia
I live in Monrovia, Liberia, West Africa with my wife and youngest son. We are recently arrived in Liberia where we are serving as missionaries with Evangelical Church Missions working under the Liberia Evangelical Mission. For most of the last thirty years we have served under ECM in Bolivia, South America. We are the happy parents of four children and the proud grandparents of two grandchildren.

Monday, May 2, 2011

Of Easter Gatherings and Bunnies

Every year over Easter our church in Bolivia holds its annual junta (sort of like camp meeting) in El Alto, La Paz. It is a mixture of half carnival, half fun and half inspirational and devotional activities. The junta begins on Thursday evening with what is always a service with very small attendance. Friday morning the classes begin and there are a few more people.

My co-worker JJ was one of the class teachers


By the Friday afternoon service the crowd has increased and the special musical numbers begin. Saturday the group has increased considerably in size and by the Saturday afternoon service the tabernacle is respectfully filled.

I spoke at the Saturday afternoon service.


Sunday morning begins with a 5:30 am march to proclaim the resurrection of Jesus. The march consists of bands, floats and lots of hermanos marching and singing. That is followed by a short out of doors service. Then the Sunday morning service begins. It will be about three hours long with singing preaching and other special presentations. The tabernacle will be full and it will be standing room only. Through it all the joy of Christ’s resurrection is the main theme.

One church presented scenes from the death and resurrection of Jesus.


I don’t now what bunnies have to do with the resurrection of Jesus but they have somehow come to be a part of the celebration, especially chocolate bunnies. Our kids, while growing up, always received bunnies made by a certain chocolate company in Bolivia. So, since I was going to be traveling to the States right after the junta, it was decided that I would take chocolate bunnies up for them. I carefully hauled the bunnies to the airport with me and was careful to see that nothing was broken. After clearing immigration and being checked out of Bolivia they wanted to search my carry on bag. When the inspector saw my bunnies he took one out and put his thumb through it. So much for getting all the bunnies to the States in one piece. But I still had three whole bunnies. I managed to get them in tact all the way to Chicago. I had just boarded my last flight to Indianapolis when I looked over and saw a man stuffing a heavy briefcase right on top of my bunnies. I knew they were doomed. So now I had bunny powder instead of bunnies. At least the chocolate would still be good even if you had to eat it with a spoon.

I suppose there is a moral in all this but I don’t know what it is. At any rate, I trust you had a blessed Resurrection season and you know the reality of the risen Lord in your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment