Who am I?

My photo
Monrovia, Liberia
I live in Monrovia, Liberia, West Africa with my wife and youngest son. We are recently arrived in Liberia where we are serving as missionaries with Evangelical Church Missions working under the Liberia Evangelical Mission. For most of the last thirty years we have served under ECM in Bolivia, South America. We are the happy parents of four children and the proud grandparents of two grandchildren.

Sunday, July 12, 2009

To Go Or Not to Go . . . That Is The Question


How do you make decisions? I hate making them because they are so hard to do and I fear making the wrong choice. Now big decisions are ok, like are we going to move to Iraq? Do I rob a bank this afternoon? But its those little decisions that bug me. I always am the last to place my order at a restaurant because I can't decide, chicken or beef, breakfast or dinner. That's why at my favorite restaurants in Bolivia I only order one thing, pork at Don Miguel and Fetuccini Gratine at MichaelAngelo. So today I had to make a decision do I go to church or not?

Bolivia is battling the Swine Flu. Santa Cruz is the center of the epidemic. There have been at least two deaths in the city. So, the government decreed that all sporting events, bars, karaokes, concerts, theators and church services are to be canceled or closed for the next 15 days. But I knew that our church would still be holding services. So, do I go or stay home? Is this a case of obey God rather than men or a case of submitting to the authorities since it really is a health issue and not a religious issue.

So I debated. I wanted to go. Mark would be happy if we didn't. They were counting on me to teach but this is a health emergency. My salvation doesn't depend on whether I miss a church service but what about my testimony to the church and to Mark, for that matter. So I debated back and forth. Finall, with fear and trembling, I decided that I should stay home and submit to the government decree. So I went by the church on Saturday to warn them that I would not be there. Decision made.

Sunday morning I am cooking muffins for breakfast. It is almost time to leave for church if we were going. I take a quick peek at the news and see that the Catholic church is not cancelling Sunday services, just additional activities. So now what? A new element is introduced. At the last possible moment I announce to Mark that I am going. No time now for a shower nor to shave. Barely time to get there before my time to teach.

And that is how I make decisions. I am comforted in my flawed process to know that, from what I am learning in Proverbs, even if I fail to make the best decision God can still control the outcome.

So maybe next time I'll try something new off of the menu (but I doubt it).

1 comment:

  1. Gordon, I'm with you in this struggle. Jeff always wonders why I am the last to order when I am just going to order the same thing I usually do! We are enjoying your blog!

    ReplyDelete